4.30.2023

Review & Promo - ResAliens Zine Returns!

The Return of ResAliens Zine

Back in 2007, I started an online speculative fiction magazine called Residential Aliens, or ResAliens for short. (See the premier issue right here on this blog!) For about three years I published a number of short stories online while offering authors a stupidly low token rate for the privilege. Evidently, there was a demand and desired space for "spiritually infused speculative fiction" which my humble venue provided - a platform for short tales of the ethereal.

In 2010, I tried my hand at a print zine and featured a few stories from previous online issues but tried to offer new stories as well. That experiement lasted for 5 issues when life got in the way and I had to find a real job. (grin) Fastforward to 2022 and the age of Kickstarter. I'm now semi-retired with a bit more time on my hands and I got to thinking it might be fun to relaunch the print version.

I'm now 2 issues into this new experiment and my goal is simply to release a new issue every two months through 2023. We'll see what happens after that. For now, it's been a blast reconnecting with authors I met about 15 years ago, and meeting new writers and publishing their stories.

For the ToC and to purchase your own copy (e-book or paperback or both!) visit these affiliate Amazon links. Both issues are about 80 print pages in lentgh (Amazon says more for e-book #7, weird.)
Since I'm both editor and publisher, I won't put a star rating to my Goodreads reviews (#6 and #7), but of course, I do think both of these new issues are 5 Star collections of short speculative fiction. 

In Issue #6, the blurb reads: "From sword and sorcery to space opera, cosmic fantasy to psychological thriller, supernatural horror, and a sprinkle of steampunk, Issue #6 (Jan/Feb 2023) features stories by Adrian Cole, Mike Chinn, Cliff Hamrick, T. M. Hunter, Stoney M. Setzer, Mike Lynch, and H. A. Titus."

And from Issue #7 (March/April 2023): "Welcome to a new issue of ResAliens where you'll once again find a wide array of speculative stories - from an ethereal and ghostly tale by Gustavo Bondoni, to Mike Chinn's swashbuckling and sorcerous adventure. We also have cats in castles, a Lincolnian alt history, a rocket ship romance, and the beginning of an S&S serial from Dustin Reade. Plus a review of one of Moorcock's lesser known fantasies. Residential Aliens - Spiritually Infused Speculative Fiction."

By the way, in Issue #7, the cats in castles story is by Mark Szasz; the alt-history Lincoln themed flash fiction is by James K Bowers; the rocket ship romance is by yours truly; and the book review is by Anthony Perconti. I should have just put those names in the blurb, lol.

Anyway, that's what's new. I hope you enjoy my latest venture in publishing. And send me a story! I'd love to read it. Guidelines are here

No comments: