10.24.2022

Review of Jarek the Scholar by Cliff Hamrick

Jarek the Scholar: Adventures in Ebesu

by Cliff Hamrick (Amazon author page)
Fiery Blade Publishing (September, 2022)
Sword & Sorcery Fantasy, 165 pages

This short collection of fast-paced, high adventures features Hamrick's cerebral-leaning hero, Jarek the Scholar, as he travels a foreign land, adrift after a significant personal loss as well as being cast out of his family. His wits and sword are all that he has left.

Although we never quite discover his full backstory, we're along for a thrilling ride as Jarek makes his own way in the world - to prove himself, to gain wealth, reputation...and a little self-respect. He's good in a fight, but better with his wits, and the mysteries he solves are dark, dangerous, and intriguing.

Hamrick sets up a number of fascinating scenarios in a classic sword and sorcery setting full of strange and horrific monsters and cosmic powers. I first stumbled upon this series when the author posted a freebie in a Facebook group I'm in, Poison in the Dark. Here's my Goodreads review of that short tale:

Enjoyed this clever fantasy thieving adventure novelet featuring Jarek (my first exposure to this character and first story I've read by Cliff Hamrick). I thought I'd stumbled upon sword and sorcery erotica the way the story opens (so reader beware!) but the tale quickly unfolds into a fun and plot twisty romp. Very well done and a series I may want to get into.

S&S erotica? Sign you, up, you say? Simmer down, dear reader. Most of Hamrick's stories don't go there. Some are dark, others a bit lighter, but almost all of them I've read have been quite enjoyable. Here's the Table of Contents of Adventures in Ebesu...

The Silent Ship, Desert Nightshade, The Grand Theater, Star of Uskuk, City of the Dead, The Crystal Flame, and The Blue Butterfly. This last one appears only in this collection - the others can be found as stand-alones. If you are in Kindle Unlimited, find them there.

I've also read The Secret in the Library and The Cure for the Sleeping Woman; currently reading Battle for the Blood Oak. I believe the only Jarek adventure I haven't read is The Priestess of Callata and that's because there's a naked woman on the cover. Perhaps another S&S erotica tale? You'll have to let me know! ;-)

If you enjoy sword and sorcery adventure fantasy with a different take on the genre's typical anti-hero, then check out Cliff Hamrick's Jarek the Scholar stories. Recommended for mature readers. 4.5 Stars.

No comments: