10.13.2009

Molly Fyde Begins Her Ride

Hugh Howey is a new SF writer and his debut novel is Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue, which I'm reading right now (a free review copy, btw).

So far so good. I can tell already that Molly is going to be one of those kick-butt heroines that readers will connect with from the start and cheer for throughout her adventures.

Here's the official blurb: Molly's story begins with her expulsion from the Naval Academy, robbing her of the only two things that truly matter: flying in space, and her training partner Cole. Months later, the discovery of her father's old starship offers her a chance to regain both.

Solid premise, not earth-shattering, but if you're a regular SF reader like myself, you don't mind a standard plotline (hey, Star Wars employs a standard plotline!) as long as the writing is solid and you encounter some twists and turns along the way. And even though this is Howey's first novel, let me assure you that his writing is strong. This is no bland quest tale that novel novelists often produce.

Even though the title and opening chapters break three of my "rules" for determining if I'm going to read, let alone like, a book, I'm actually quite impressed with this debut. (I'll have to post my rules someday, but for now you'll just have to wonder.) So, okay, now that it looks like I've already decided to recommend this book, let me finish it and I'll let you know if I spoke too soon.

In the mean time, visit HughHowey.com for the latest.

UPDATE Oct 19, 2009: Just finished Hugh's debut novel. Nicely done and yes a definite recommend. A type of read you'd expect from a big house publisher. I'll give a fuller review later, but so you know...I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Sounds cool. I look forward to your final opinion.